I ran my last Anna’s Kitchen cooking class a few days ago, I’ve taught over 100 participants since I started and it has really been a joy. The last session was no exception, and was attended by a lovely group of people.
We made Gateau Chocolat, a recipe shared by a French visitor at the guesthouse last year. I have amended it slightly and cut the sugar content in half. It is an incredibly dense and rich dessert cake to be enjoyed in small slices. My students thought it went well with matcha, powdered green tea. It is gluten free as well.
- 200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 200g butter
- 100g sugar
- 100g corn flour
- 4 eggs
- Heat the oven to 160°C
- Gently melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water
- Add the sugar and mix well
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl
- Add to the chocolate and mix
- Sift the corn flour into the bowl and mix so that it is incorporated into the mixture
- Pour the mixture into a lined cake tin and bake for 30-35 minutes
- The cake should be lightly cooked on top but still a little loose (it will harden when cool)
- Leave to cool completely before cutting, it is best left overnight