I started making this when running Ayabe Yoshimizu Guesthouse where there were several vats of rich dark miso in the basement that the owner had locally made. The guests could not get enough of this robust zesty, salty-sweet dressing, which works equally well over a green salad or as for a dip for small crunchy Japanese cucumbers. My son, however, likes to simply pour it over rice
The rich dark hatcho miso works best but it can be made with any kind of miso. The shoyu is optional but seems to add an additional savoury note. The dressing is rather thick so you can thin with water if preferred.
Makes 1 jar
- 3 tbsp hatcho miso
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp soy sauce (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 3cm knob of ginger, finely grated
- Whisk all ingredients in a jar, thinning with water if necessary.